Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rigatoni with Meatballs

Modified version of recipe found here

I love pasta. I love meatballs. I love them together. Actually, I love all Italian food, albeit this was not authentic. When I found this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I suggested it to my family, but they weren't really into the whole sausage thing. And I'll admit, I wasn't into the whole mushroom thing. Maybe one day I'll get over my immense loathing and disgust towards the fungus. My sister and I collaboratively made this dish for dinner, and it was so good. She made the meatballs, and I did the rest. We served it with a side of fresh broccoli, but you can use any vegetable you like.





Ingredients 

  • 2 tablespoons - olive oil 
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 package of ground beef (I think it's about a pound; we use lean 96/4)
    • 2 slices of bread
    • 1/2 cup - milk
    • 1 egg
    • salt and pepper
    • herbs for seasoning (dry herb mix works, or fresh herbs)
  • 1/2 cup - dry white wine
  • 1 box of Rigatoni
  • 1 cup - light cream
  • 2 (pasteurized) eggs 
  • 1/2-1 cup - fresh grated parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons - chopped fresh parsley OR 
  • 2 tablespoons - dry herb mix 
Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. While the oil is getting hot, prepare the onion and garlic. You can mince or chop the garlic/onion, depending on your preference. 
Once the onions are translucent, you may add in the meatballs. 
To prepare the meatballs, put the ground beef in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, add in the milk and broken up pieces of bread. Rip of the bread into pretty small pieces, then soak it in the milk. Add in the egg, herbs, salt and pepper, and milk/bread mixture. Using your finger tips, begin to break apart the meat. Do not vigorously squeeze the meat through your fingers. Make sure the meat mixes with the rest of the ingredients. Once it is mixed all the way through, form 1-inch meat balls. 
Add the meatballs to the pan with garlic and onion. 
While the meatballs are cooking, boil a large pot of water on high until it has reached a rolling boil. Salt the water to your preference. Add in the rigatoni pasta, and cook it for 9-11 minutes. 
Make sure to turn your meatballs frequently so they cook evenly. 
While the pasta and meatballs are cooking, prepare the cream sauce. 
In a small bowl, add in the cream and eggs. Make sure to whisk in the eggs completely. Not sure why the recipe called for eggs, but make sure to use pasteurized. 
Add in the grated parmesan and herbs to the cream. Stir the mixture together. 
Once the meatballs are cooked all the way through, turn the heat off, and set them aside, covering the pan. 
Once the pasta is al-dente, or has reached your preference, completely strain the pasta and place into a serving dish. Place the meatballs on top of the pasta, and then add the cream sauce on top. Stir it all together. 
You may add more fresh parmesan and herbs on top. Enjoy! This dish was very delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment