Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pecan Pie

Recipe taken from here




Truly one of my all-time favorite pies. I was under the impression that my family hated pecan pie, so that's why we never had it at my house. That's what they always told me; however, awhile back, I picked up a pecan pie, and they all devoured it. I decided to make one for Thanksgiving. My boyfriend and I also made this today. 


Ingredients
  • 2 cups - pecan halves 
  • 1 cup - Lyle's golden syrup *
  • 1 cup - firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon - salt
  • 5 tablespoons - unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 teaspoon - vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs, slightly beaten 
  • 9-inch unbaked pie crust shell 
  • whipped cream for topping 
Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Spread the pecan halves onto a baking sheet.
Toast in oven for 10 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
In large bowl, whisk together golden syrup, brown sugar, salt, butter, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. 
Slowly, whisk in the eggs into the mixture. 
Pour mixture into the 9-inch pie shell. 
Sprinkle, or arrange the cooled pecans onto the top of the mixture. 
Bake in center of oven rack for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Bake until the center of the pie "puffs" just slightly, or check with a toothpick, and make sure it comes out clean. 
Remove from oven, and let cool. 
Eat it warm, or room temperature. Enjoy! 


( * supposedly, Lyle's golden syrup is difficult to find as it is an English(?) product, very commonly used in Europe. But, I highly suggest you use this! I tried 2 stores, and had luck at Harris Teeter in the baking aisle. I found it next to Karo's syrup. If you can't find it, Karo's corn syrup will do.) 


My family and I made so many pies today! I made the pecan pie, and helped make 3 pumpkin pies. My mom, with help from my little brother, made an amazing apple pie. And my sister, with help from my mom, made a mixed berry pie. My sister made a really cool lattice work on top. I love Thanksgiving! So many delicious inspired recipes, and a lovely time to spend with family. 





No comments:

Post a Comment